Omni-Kit Swapping

A place for submitting your designs to the MHB department head.
Dulio12385
affiliations: Black Stars Mercenary Collective

Omni-Kit Swapping

Postby Dulio12385 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 am

I recall there was once a rule, posted in the old forums, wherein omnimechs could use omni-kits from other machines as long as they were equal to or less than the available pod space and criticals on the mech equipping the kit however there does not seem to be any mention of this rule in the MHB website proper. Is this still a good rule or should we consider it abrogated?

Corollary to this is it possible to buy an omnimech naked? As in without a kit?
Major Clint "Tex" Dyson
CO Alcyone Gunslingers
Governor-General of Erdvynn
Black Stars Collective [Inactive]

"The devil loves a mad man when the monkey is in control."

Email, Facebook, Skype or YM: dulio12385@yahoo.com

Storywriter J. Allen

Re: Omni-Kit Swapping

Postby Storywriter J. Allen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm

You can buy what's listed on the MHB, and there are no naked Omnis there. Whether its the prime variant or something else, it's always outfitted. Just always remember with the MHB that if it isn't listed in the system, you can't buy it.

As to the rule you speak of, I'm not sure I've heard of that. I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just not ringing any bells for me.

In general, the staff basically expect you to respect what you own (what you've purchased). So if you own a Templar A (and no other Templar Omnikits), by default and 99% of the time, it should be a Templar A. But for a weird battle, as part of a plot twist, could you swap it out as something else, as a 1-time story driven situation? Generally speaking yes. But as soon as that's over it goes back to being a Templar A, and that one time event shouldn't become an "every contract this seems to happen" occurrence.

The same thing applies to non-Omnis. If your Battlemaster's arm gets shot off mid-campaign, on the eve of the climatic battle, could your techs stitch together some kind of frankenstein quirky arm replacement that includes a different weapon for the final showdown? Yes. But then the techs repair your machine to standard when the show is over.

We want you to write and tell good stories but generally respect that what you own is what you own (equipment you've bought) and not try to cheat the system. One of the biggest telltales of someone trying to cheat the system is that "temporary" equipment item addition or change keeps happening, contract after contract, practically making it a routine addition to the unit. That kind of repetitive use crosses a line.

Maybe someone else can step in with a more formal response to the "rule" you are referring to.
Staff Position
Storyline Writer Jon Allen

MUCO Character
Captain Niobe Bey
Commanding Officer
The Great White Fleet MU

Return to “Design Submission Forum”