Timeline Suggestions

General 'Out Of Character' news & events within Battletech-Mercenaries
Mcraven
affiliations: Lance McRaven BTP
Major Robert McClendon Shadow Lancers

Timeline Suggestions

Postby Mcraven » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Starting a new topic, based on timeline suggestions. Earlier this year, we started discussing it in the Introduction Topic. I am opening it here in "BTM and Current Events", so we can all see it, and participate in the discussion.

So, we are all aware we are trying to breathe new life into the forum here, as well as the Battletech-Mercenaries Forum. Now, I am not assuming the center seat, with this thread, I am just trying to give everyone a chance to sound off on the direction they would like to see this universe of ours move into.

That said, please put your ideas together, and once you have fleshed them out in your mind, put them down here, so we can all chime in, and see what the consensus is. There is no one direction to this. We all have our ideas as to where we would like to go, and what we would like to see. Running a unit, I have seen the different directions storylines can go in, with multiple posters, posting a submission at a time, each submission moving the story. Even with a carefully drafted outline, the story can easily get away from you. Trust me, I know. I even had a company commander challenge the Solaris champion, while my unit was providing security to that stable!! So, please, sky is the limit, please, put something together, and let's get talking.
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer
BLACK TALON PHOENIX MERCENARY COMMAND
Provisional Deputy Director

Mcraven

Re: Timeline Suggestions

Postby Mcraven » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:19 pm

To start off some idea of what I was meaning, here is a post from Vampire, over a conversation We were having in PM:

Re: Introductions
Postby Vampire » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 am

Hi folks.

McRaven and myself have been discussion over PM, where we shared some ideas on how to move on. Would like to see if anyone else has other ideas, or will be interested to participate.

1) Continue what we did previously, discussing ideas among ourselves on what contract and/or story arc we would like to develop, than come up with contract(s) to play things out. All these will be based on current BTM timeline.

2) Possibly rebooting to some earlier timeframe before BTM AU diverged from canon timeline. We spoke about just before the Clan Invasion of '50, but I'm sure we are open to other periods as well.

3) Given that BTM was created years ago by members who didn't like the Dark Ages development, I'm not sure if the next idea is a slap on our own faces - rebooting and creating story arcs based on actual B-tech timelines. That means that we WILL have the Dark Ages being played out.

As usual, hoping for feedback and raise of hands from anyone who's willing to put our collective heads together and see if we can kick-start our beloved BTM forums again.
Lt Gen Zhao Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo

If you have something to say. or post, here is the perfect place to do it. Looking forward to hearing from everyone. :)
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Mcraven

Postby Mcraven » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:58 pm

So, apparently, we need more of a lure to get people to discuss possible future timelines. So, just for fun, let's go there.

There is the Succession Wars. Reaching back, they started in and around 2781, through 3049. In 2781, Stefan Amaris launched a coup, killing every last member in First Lord Richard Cameron's family. The fall out from this resulted in a 13 year war to unseat him as First Lord. This also led to General Aleksandr Kerensky departing the Inner Sphere with 80% of the Star League Defense Force. Following this, the five Great Houses disbanded the Star League and fought through centuries of warfare, trying to become the ruling house.

Then, we have the Clan Invasion, 3050 through 3061, where an unknown, technology superior force (or forces) invade the Inner Sphere, intent on dominating the worlds there. We come to know this force as the Clans, and later, as the descendants of General Aleksandr Kerensky's Star League Defense Force.

FedCom Civil War, 3062 through 3067, which not only ushered in the fighting between the Federated Suns and the Lyran Alliance, but also other Great Houses, scrambling to cement their realms, like in the case of House Liao conquering the St Ives Compact. From here, there would be the Jihad, but the community decided to write it's own future, therefore bypassing the dark days to come.

So, I am putting this out there, hoping to stimulate a discussion, so we can rebuild, and be strong once more. Come on, let's see what you got.
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:49 pm

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I would love to try RP-ing during the Jihad era - you know, the entire cannon timeline which our forum timeline avoided altogether with our AU.

Much like the IS initial contact with the Clans, coming up against the seemingly endless horde of fanatical and high tech opponents, in a universal wide war that was much more widespread than the Clan invasion was.
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Mcraven

Postby Mcraven » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:57 pm

As mercenaries, the Jihad could definitely be an exciting time, just like the Wolf/Jade Falcon IlClan struggle for Terra, that is taking place in the current novel series, even though the end game would be limited. Of course, we could always write it from a what if status, with the WoB failing miserably.
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Mcraven

Postby Mcraven » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:31 pm

So, I commented up above, following Vampire's reply. Afterwards, I got to thinking that this might be a way to bring new life into the community. We could run quarterly, or bi-annual events, from these special eras. Anyone who would want to participate would choose a sub unit from within their unit, and write in on the details of the event. A staff member would be the opposition to the storyline in play. For example, let me work this out, and let's see if it is feasible. So, for my example, Operation STEEL HAMMER (3068) . This was a Word of Blake assault against major Lyran worlds and capitals. If you accepted this event contract, you would be tasked with protecting a Lyran World and Capital. So, let's use Donegal. You will be up against the 18th Division-Bloody Revelation-IV-Delta. They are composed of 4 Level III formations. Mechs, vehicles and battle armor make up their ranks. So, your unit, company, Battalion...whatever we decide on, will land, and plan out a defense of a certain area on Donegal. You write on your actions, and then a staff member would roll up your opposition. We would prosecute an action, such as a landing, attacking you. (Of course, you and your opponent would have worked out an outline, so you would still have control of your unit and storyline, justf like those games where you decide the action, dependent on your action.) Of course, once the story is complete, the unit commander would only receive payment for his own posts. Also, salvage would have to be adjusted to be available within the unit's own timelines.

This could work for several different timelines, and eventually, once the rules are established it could even take on a unit vs unit event. Kurita vs Steiner, Davion vs Liao....Heck, the sky would be the limit to what we could manage. Again, just thinking out loud. Let us know what you think.
Attachments
WOB.jpg
WOB.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 8814 times
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:04 am

I'd like to clarify what's been put forward by Mcraven to see if I understand the suggestion before I voice my opinions.

1. First off, the staff will come up with rough story arcs that will include timeline, location(s), overall campaign objective, enemy force, etc.
2. Whoever is interested will pick one of the arcs to write from the POV of anything ranging from company upwards to participate.
3. There will be a sort of joint-contract between the staff and MUCO(s), where story development, course and results of action(s) are discussed, agreed upon and be IC-ly written out.
4. Payment/salvage will be awarded for only was IC-ly put up by the MUCO(s).
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Mcraven

Postby Mcraven » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Vampire, good job, rounds on target!
Just trying to put some ideas down that might bring more interest. When it comes to the Jihad, or the IlClan, I just feel there needs to be a little more control of the subject. We can discuss the level of involvement, and any actions to be taken.
We can also put out contracts over several timelines, tailored to the unit or units that want to participate in them.
Again, just putting it out there, hoping to get a conversation going.
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Rabbit
affiliations: Major Benjamin Pugh - Black Talon Phoenixes
Captain Alexander Yau - Chaos Incorporated

Postby Rabbit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 pm

I am not a big fan of the Jihad and Dark Ages afterwards, but it would be interesting to write them, for certain. I would rather move past that, timeline wise, but I am really looking for a way to write and be creative at this point, so would deal with the Dark Ages. Mostly. Anyone expecting me to defend a planet with a lance of mediums and say I have an "awesome and overwhelming force" may get stepped on by a 50 ton foot though. :)

Even starting brand new would be okay. That would not be ideal for certain units that have had a long and storied history in BTM, but it would be a way for everyone to start fresh and be at the same level.
MAJ Benjamin "Ironsides" Pugh
Black Talon Phoenixes

MAJ Alexander "Random" Yau
Chaos Incorporated

Captain Duncan "Hound" Myers
War Hounds

Mcraven

Postby Mcraven » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:03 pm

I think if we are going to try and run a combined campaign, starting anew would definitely be a sound idea. This way we aren't dealing with red tape, or reputation limitations. Of course, if things open up afterwards, we can always get back in to our unit organizations, or whatever...

Just have to establish a guideline for the role we are playing, the unit composition, and where we fit in all of it!

Touche'
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer

Return to “BTM And Current Events”