Starting Things Up

General 'Out Of Character' news & events within Battletech-Mercenaries
MrPig
affiliations: Penelope "Dime" Trumbull

Re: Starting Things Up

Postby MrPig » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 am

Vampire wrote:Very nicely done! What's wrong with the Urbie and Jav? I like 'em both. Especially the Urbie with the AV4...

I mean, the Urbie is what it is and does it well, but outside of that role, the Urbie is a meme. I've never done tabletop, but near as I can tell, the Jav just kind of coughs on its enemies, and tips over when it is coughed upon in turn.

Rabbit
affiliations: Major Benjamin Pugh - Black Talon Phoenixes
Captain Alexander Yau - Chaos Incorporated

Postby Rabbit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 am

Urbie is a walking trashcan. You make it lose it's right arm AC and then ignore it unless it's the last bad guy on the field. The only exception is the one with the Arrow IV and that's because it's going to stay way behind the lines and not get targeted. Hopefully. Give me a lance of light fast movers and I will ruin those things :)

The Javelin is okay as a support platform as long as it remembers it's only 30 tons and a poorly armored 30 tons at that. Shoot, run away... quickly. Don't stop to fight and hope that someone bigger comes along to distract your pursuers.

ANYWAY...

Nice TO&E, Mr. Pig. I recommend table top with BattleTech a lot and also recommend doing Alpha Strike instead of Classic BattleTech unless you have a lot of time and enjoy the math. If you can't do that, look up Hare Brained Schemes' video game on BattleTech released in 2018 (?). It's a good time. :)
MAJ Benjamin "Ironsides" Pugh
Black Talon Phoenixes

MAJ Alexander "Random" Yau
Chaos Incorporated

Captain Duncan "Hound" Myers
War Hounds

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 am

Rabbit wrote:Urbie is a walking trashcan. You make it lose it's right arm AC and then ignore it unless it's the last bad guy on the field. The only exception is the one with the Arrow IV and that's because it's going to stay way behind the lines and not get targeted. Hopefully. Give me a lance of light fast movers and I will ruin those things :)

The Javelin is okay as a support platform as long as it remembers it's only 30 tons and a poorly armored 30 tons at that. Shoot, run away... quickly. Don't stop to fight and hope that someone bigger comes along to distract your pursuers.

ANYWAY...

Nice TO&E, Mr. Pig. I recommend table top with BattleTech a lot and also recommend doing Alpha Strike instead of Classic BattleTech unless you have a lot of time and enjoy the math. If you can't do that, look up Hare Brained Schemes' video game on BattleTech released in 2018 (?). It's a good time. :)

I got myself the Catalyst big box. Once I have both my Covid shots I'm gonna play with my buddy and try to figure it out.

By the way we do have a Discord channel if anyone has Discord. I'm on there basically 24/7.

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:51 am

I was introduced to Battletech first and foremost via tabletop (call me old school but there's this charm about paper and dice), before moving on to the earliest dead tree books - Warrior trilogy, Wolves on the Border, and the first trio of Clan Invasion novels. Computer games and such came MUCH later after.

Back in those days, 6/9/6 is some of the fastest Mech you can get other than the Spider, Jenner and Ostcout. For its weight, the Javelin can cough out A LOT of pain on an unwary opponent and skip away back to safety. Strangely, I had always preferred combat vees before I knew about them costing less, was easier to produce, etc. Need speed? Hovers. Mobile pillbox? Heavy tracked tanks!

Anyways, again, a very nice post to kick start things off. I'm still trying to squeeze out the post on the destruction of my group but work this week has not been an agreeable mood. Might have to wait until the weekend before I can churn something out.
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 am

Vampire wrote:I was introduced to Battletech first and foremost via tabletop (call me old school but there's this charm about paper and dice), before moving on to the earliest dead tree books - Warrior trilogy, Wolves on the Border, and the first trio of Clan Invasion novels. Computer games and such came MUCH later after.

Back in those days, 6/9/6 is some of the fastest Mech you can get other than the Spider, Jenner and Ostcout. For its weight, the Javelin can cough out A LOT of pain on an unwary opponent and skip away back to safety. Strangely, I had always preferred combat vees before I knew about them costing less, was easier to produce, etc. Need speed? Hovers. Mobile pillbox? Heavy tracked tanks!

Anyways, again, a very nice post to kick start things off. I'm still trying to squeeze out the post on the destruction of my group but work this week has not been an agreeable mood. Might have to wait until the weekend before I can churn something out.

I was first introduced to MW2, but my first game was MW3. I later got some novels, two of which were in the Twilight of the Clans series. I eventually got my hands on MW4 and Mercenaries, and played those up and down. When I was 18 or so I discovered you guys (Yes you are that old, I'm 30 now.)

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:53 am

MrPig wrote:When I was 18 or so I discovered you guys (Yes you are that old, I'm 30 now.)

What? 46 isn't all THAT old... :lol:

I think I have a Discord account. Gotta see if I remember the handle and password and what not though. Methinks it is high time to seek assistance from my son. :oops:
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo

Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:24 pm

I started with tabletop BattleTech... my Phoenix Hawk, Thunderbolt, and BattleMaster all fought someone else. lol I don't remember all the OPFOR, but I remember the Phoenix Hawk on a hill kicking an Ostroc to death and that multiple infantry units are not something to be trifled with. I lost but had a good time. Started the novels after that and just kept going. I do so love this universe. :)

Oh... I started in 1990 just before TRO 3050 hit, so I can actually say that I've been around longer than the Clans. lol
Black Talon Phoenixes

Chaos Incorporated

War Hounds

Mcraven
affiliations: Lance McRaven BTP
Major Robert McClendon Shadow Lancers

Postby Mcraven » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am

Playing the age card, eh? So, I started tabletop in 1981, while floating on a gator freighter, heading to Thailand and Malaysia. I am a huge Thunderbolt/Marauder tabletop pilot. Can't stop me!!! Wish we would have had the Grand Titan back then! I have played every incarnation of this game that I know of, ever since. Currently playing MWO and Harebrain's Battletech, like the contrast of both. (Play all variants of Urbie and Javelin in MWO, love the lights!) I think I may have actually played a number of matches as the SLDF, pre-exodus, as well as a few imagined Star League in Exile. Black Watch, was the GM's favorite Star League unit. I ran Exterminators and Orions, I think. Being able to discuss tactics, and feeling the heat of the moment in tabletop never got old. Several units in MWO use Discord, so I am familiar with it, but I usually disconnect, because it gets used as the wrong type of forum. People's bias, and inappropriate behavior usually drives me off it. :(

Oh, yeah. 62 years young, here, my wife wonders if I will ever grow up!
Lance McRaven
Lieutenant General
Commanding Officer
BLACK TALON PHOENIX MERCENARY COMMAND
Provisional Deputy Director

Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Mcraven wrote: Oh, yeah. 62 years young, here, my wife wonders if I will ever grow up!

I see no reason why you should start now. :D :lol:
Black Talon Phoenixes

Chaos Incorporated

War Hounds

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:05 am

I've been rolling things around in my head, and I think I've finally figured out who Roy is.

Because I have a tendency to go totally ham on this sort of thing, please let me know if you feel any of this is too much.

Roy started out as a nobody in a pirate tribe in the Rim periphery, until becoming a Dropship crewmen. The pirates were hunting SLDF weapons caches which had been squirreled away by the Rim Worlds' Republic, but during one of their raids, the Lyrans caught the pirates. Deciding that 15 was much too young to end up in a Lyran prison, Roy turned on the pirates and convinced the Lyrans he and his crew were merchants.

Roy and his crew then took to hunting down the caches, and learned of the locations of more such purchases made by Amaris just before the Amaris Civil War. They became treasure hunters, selling their finds to the Houses, pirates, and mercenaries. This caught the attention of ComStar, who sent ROM agents after them. Their career came to a bloody end when ROM bombed their dropship; Roy was the only survivor, and was lucky enough to limp to Canopian space, where he received cybernetics to compensate for his injuries.

Roy decided on a policy of "If you can't beat them, join them" and turned himself in to ComStar, offering to lead them to the rest of the caches if they paid off his medical debts; they accepted. Roy spent the next few years working for ROM until the Clan invasions, at which point his job changed from recovery to dispersal, as his operation handed out the contents of the caches to frontline units. This earned him connections and the thanks of many, but earned a great deal of ire from people within ComStar.

When the Blakist schism occurred, Roy opted to cut and run from his work with ROM, and hastily sold the stash he was holding. He used the profits to have his biometrics and appearance altered, bought a Mule dropship, hired some crew, and made himself scarce. Before leaving ROM, however, he made sure to fill his head with as many ComStar, Blakist, and Star League secrets as he could.

Now going from world to world, Roy and his crew work as shady merchants, using legitimate jobs with illegitimate credentials to cover for their treasure hunts. A colleague within the FWLM tipped him off to operation GUERRERO, and Roy had the "Smith & Heckler Shipping & Mechanics, Ltd." invented as an excuse to chase after one of the caches he'd learned about, this one on Talitha.

Return to “BTM And Current Events”