MHB Purchasing Questions

Your source for guns, toys and the coolest rides in the 31st Century!
MrPig
affiliations: Penelope "Dime" Trumbull

MHB Purchasing Questions

Postby MrPig » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 am

So I'm trying to wrap my head around how purchases work.

Assuming my starting position is Terra, I get that I can buy anything at the Terra MHB depot with no worries of it being lost. However, if I wanted to buy a 'Mech that was specific to a certain House I had neutral or good relations with, I have a few questions:
  • Can I buy from another nation I'm not in?
  • Does it have to be shipped to me from the nearest House depot?
  • What's the extra cost for shipping?

DeputyDirector

Re: MHB Purchasing Questions

Postby DeputyDirector » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Here you go, Mr. Pig.

1. There has been no established rule for purchasing open market items from a realm you are not currently in. So, you could go off and buy a Zeus from the Lyran Alliance while sitting on Luthien. However, traditionally, the process has always been that for open market items, you buy from the nation you are in or from Terra and have the items shipped to you. Still there is no rule that says you couldn't buy from the LA while in DC space but you may have the ISF watching you more. :)

2. Yes. Assuming that you are purchasing from the realm you are in, the item ships to you from the nearest depot.

3. Here are the charges for shipping
•1.5% Chance in the same Realm Charge: tonnage * 60 - Insurance fee 5% (Optional)
•2.5% Chance across Realms Charge: tonnage * 60 plus a 7,500 C-bill Customs fee Insurance fee 6.25% (Optional)
•3.5% Shipped to a Unit in or beyond Periphery Insurance fee 7.5% (Optional)

Additional information on MHB purchasing can be found on the MHB page under "Basics". Here's the link

https://www.battletech-mercenaries.com/mhb/basics.php

At this time, I am also the MHB person, so if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask me.
Raymond Freeman MacCreary
Deputy Director
Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission (MRBC)

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant.”
Croaker, The Black Company

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 am

So I can buy any equipment listed from any place in the game.

I misinterpreted that list as being chances to lose the equipment rather than prices for shipping.

DeputyDirector

Postby DeputyDirector » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 am

As there are no rules that say you cannot, yes, you can purchase from anywhere in the Inner Sphere from any other location. Please note, this does not include Black Market purchases, which state you must be in the realm that you are purchasing from. Given that you are dealing with the MHB instead of the government that controls the realm, you could even purchase from a realm that you could not gain a contract in. For example, the Restless Souls cannot take any contract in the employ of the Draconis Combine because of the severity of their negative reputation, but they could buy a Panther from the MHB on Dieron and have it shipped to them.

Yes that it shows the percentage chance of the shipment being lost/hijacked and yes it includes the shipping prices. If you purchase something from the Lyran Alliance while you are in the Draconis Combine, there is a 2.5% chance that the purchase will be lost. The shipping costs for the purchase is the total tonnage of the purchase * 60 C-bills plus a 7500 C-bill customs fee and insurance can be purchased for the shipment at the cost of 6.25% of the total purchase price of the equipment.

So that shiny ZEU-65 Zeus you want will cost you 7,617,901 plus shipping of 4800 C-bills and a customs fee of 7500 C-bills. Then if you wanted to get insurance on the purchase, that would cost you 476,118 C-bills. Please note that I am not including any reputation discount or any currency discount in these transactions.
Deputy Director

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant.”

Vampire
affiliations: Dirty Half Dozens

Postby Vampire » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 am

Personally, I tend to only allow my unit to buy from where our landhold is, or where we are currently employed for contract. Same deal for Black Market.

No one's REALLY watching, but I'd like to stick to the spirit of things a little if I can.

What the Black Stars did when we REALLY wanted something in another realm, we ask another unit which is able to for help. They may charge us a fee (or not), or have some conditions. Again, it's in the spirit of things.
Captain HUO Qubing
CO Dirty Half Dozens Mercenary Command

Morgan CHAN
Military Hardware Brokerage Office
(part-time Black Market dealer)

Lt Gen ZHAO Zi Long
Black Stars Mercenary Collective
Sharp Shooters Sub-unit
Vampire Medium Omnitank

Baron of Erdvynn, Alarion Province, Lyran Alliance
Earl of Galisteo, Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, Free Worlds League

Creator of Kingdom of Nibo

DeputyDirector

Postby DeputyDirector » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Agreed, Vampire, and much appreciated. :) Its definitely a more realistic approach to things.
Deputy Director

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 am

DeputyDirector wrote:As there are no rules that say you cannot, yes, you can purchase from anywhere in the Inner Sphere from any other location. Please note, this does not include Black Market purchases, which state you must be in the realm that you are purchasing from. Given that you are dealing with the MHB instead of the government that controls the realm, you could even purchase from a realm that you could not gain a contract in. For example, the Restless Souls cannot take any contract in the employ of the Draconis Combine because of the severity of their negative reputation, but they could buy a Panther from the MHB on Dieron and have it shipped to them.

Yes that it shows the percentage chance of the shipment being lost/hijacked and yes it includes the shipping prices. If you purchase something from the Lyran Alliance while you are in the Draconis Combine, there is a 2.5% chance that the purchase will be lost. The shipping costs for the purchase is the total tonnage of the purchase * 60 C-bills plus a 7500 C-bill customs fee and insurance can be purchased for the shipment at the cost of 6.25% of the total purchase price of the equipment.

So that shiny ZEU-65 Zeus you want will cost you 7,617,901 plus shipping of 4800 C-bills and a customs fee of 7500 C-bills. Then if you wanted to get insurance on the purchase, that would cost you 476,118 C-bills. Please note that I am not including any reputation discount or any currency discount in these transactions.

Last iteration of this question: If I am on Terra, do I have to ship anything?

Remington von Wolffe
Site Admin
affiliations: MRBC/DMM
Historian

Postby Remington von Wolffe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:17 pm

'NO', Mr Pig, you do not. Everything available at the House Depots is available on Terra as well.

MrPig

Postby MrPig » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Remington von Wolffe wrote:'NO', Mr Pig, you do not. Everything available at the House Depots is available on Terra as well.

Oh sweet.

director
Site Admin
affiliations: Timothy Joshua Reid, Director MRBC
Lt. Gen. Timothy Maddox MUCO of Hellstorm Hussars, Count of Filtvelt
Colonel Alyssa Maddox MUXO of Hellstorm Hussars
Ellison 'Ely' Reed Storms Armored Cavalry

Postby director » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Also, Mr. Pig since your unit is just starting, you can just presume that shipping costs don't matter for non black market items.

Is there a risk of loss with BM equipment, there used to be, I can't recall if we basically nerfed that rule or not, but it happens very rarely from what I understand.

At startup, you are basically starting up with supplies as if the unit has been around long enough to acquire a company's worth of equipment.

Its later, when you start moving around that most MUCOs do the following:

Either they role play stopping at a Depot world and making purchases (thus no shipping cost within that realm).
Or
They role play that they ordered from the last world they were (and pay shipping costs)
Or
They role play that they ordered it from their landhold (unit has to have earned one with the faction in question and is also limited to the depot list)

Some units would return to Terra, but I'll be honest, we might need to update those rules a bit, given that Terra isn't controlled by the Star League anyjmore. (for now though carry on, as the staff isn't going to make any change there right now.)
Timothy Joshua Reid
Director
Outreach
MRBC
Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission.

Return to “Military Hardware Brokerage”